Tracey's Reviews > A Trick of the Light

A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny

F_50x66
Mar 26, 12

Read in March, 2012

My 2nd experience with this author's Gamache series. Dissatisfied, again.

The Three Pines characters are well-worn stereotypes, the usual tokens found in the write-your-own-mystery-novel game; Ruth, the caustic and outspoken senior with the sledgehammer wit, caring Myrna and her psychobabble, Gabri the out-loud-and-proud and of course sarcastic bistro owner, Peter the tormented artist. Clara as an artistic genious is difficult to reconcile with the bumbling idiot who doesn't manage to say or do anything interesting or compelling.

There is extremely little physical description of the characters, scenes or bucolic Three Pines. (I think one of the B&Bs is somewhat detailed after the characters have been in and out of it several times). Gameboard's got to have a bit of colour.

The AA bit reads like a PSA. This organization, its tenets and activities have been referenced in general literature, media, etc to such an extent that there are few readers who required the treatment given to describing it. Likewise with the overdone Humpty Dumpty metaphor. Game as edutainment.

The story is frequently dominated by references to a past event that continues to exert a powerful influence over Gamache and Beavoir. The reader is never provided with a backgrounder on it and is left instead with incomplete scenes and allusion to some parallel mystery and investigation. Are we missing a piece?

I like Gamache and Beauvoir and I'd love to see them and their developing relationship within a different context than Penny's crime-kit take on the cosy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Trick of the Light.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Georgia I agree with Tracey PR altho' I will give this book 3 stars. It starts off slow, meanders here and there, repeats and repeats. I guess this is showing police procedures and maybe to trick us into suspecting everyone. After I read this book, I read Penny's Brutal Telling which planted all the ideas for Trick of
light and for I feel it was the better book even tho' many reviewers thought
Trick of light one of the best mystery books of the year.