Anas Attic Book Blog's Reviews > Slammed

Mar 26, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, after-fifty-shades, most-ages
Read from April 19 to 20, 2012

Full review at Ana's Attic
Holy Moly! This was so good!!! I'm afraid my review can never do it justice. Rating 5+ Heat Rating 0. At first I thought, ugh, I'm not really in the mood for another YA, but the reviews were so good, even from all my friends that love smut, so I had to continue. And I'm so glad I did!!!

While it is a romance, and a beautiful one at that, it was so much more. There was a lot of slam poetry and song lyrics. I never thought I'd like these poems but I sure did! They were incredible. This book is about growing up, losing parents, responsibility, love, family, siblings and more love.

21 year old Will is raising his little brother alone after he loses his parents unexpectedly. 18 year old Lake, her mom, and little brother move across the street after her father dies. Lake's mom was one of my favorite characters. She was a great, wise lady, and her words at the end were something we should all live by. Other characters include Lake's best friend Eddie, who was vivacious, friendly and brought a lot of light to the book.

I do not like books where I cry. Though those are usually the ones I love the most, I hate crying! But this one was so worth the tears. And there were lots of them! This book also inspired me to schedule a checkup and make arrangements for my children in case something happened to both of us.

“I got schooled this year
a
boy.

A boy that I'm seriously, deeply, madly, incredibly, and undeniably in love with.
And he taught me the most important thing of all...

To put the emphasis
On life .”

I will read the next one right away. Beautiful job Ms. Hoover!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

04/19/2012
59.0% "So good. But I'm bawling my eyes out." 1 comment
04/20/2012
98.0% "Crying too hard to finish! What a great book."