Rebecca's Reviews > Dark Life

Dark Life by Kat Falls

Mar 26, 2012

liked it
Read in March, 2012

A futuristic story about life after a catastrophic global warming. The ice caps have melted, and land is at a premium. So much that all the available land is packed with "stacked" cities and food is provided from a new breed of farming pioneers that have set out and inhabited the ocean floor.

This was a light take on the post catastrophic novel. IMO, it wasn't dystopian. Sure it stinks that the ice caps have melted, but society was actually very reminiscent of modern life. The people who lived under the ocean seemed to be doing well. They worked hard but were happy with their lives as it afforded them some freedoms that others didn't have. The "topsiders" or people who lived on land had different classes. The wealthy were privileged and the middle class and poor struggled to improve their status.

More science fiction and adventure than anything, Dark Life was a quick, fun read. I liked the vivid descriptions of the underwater environment. Given the detailed visualizations featuring bioluminescence, the action, adventure, mystery, and even love story, I could see this being turned into a movie. However, I don’t think this will ever have the mass reading frenzy surrounding it that will put it in the light to be made into a movie, but I could see the majority of people who read this picking up other books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Life.