Anna's Reviews > David Copperfield

4552039
Sep 06, 13

bookshelves: classics
Read from May 21 to September 06, 2013

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read David Copperfield.

Quotes Anna Liked

Charles Dickens
“My meaning simply is, that whatever I have tried to do in life, I have tried with all my heart to do well; that whatever I have devoted myself to, I have devoted myself to completely; that in great aims and in small, I have always been thoroughly in earnest.”

Charles Dickens
“I never could have done what I have done, without the habits of punctuality, order, and diligence, without the determination to concentrate myself on one object at a time.”

Charles Dickens
“There can be no disparity in marriage like unsuitability of mind and purpose.”

Charles Dickens
“We must meet reverses boldly, and not suffer them to frighten us, my dear. We must learn to act the play out. We must live misfortune down, Trot!”

Charles Dickens
“Never," said my aunt, "be mean in anything; never be false; never be cruel. Avoid those three vices, Trot, and I can always be hopeful of you.”

Charles Dickens
“It will be your duty, and it will be your pleasure too to estimate her (as you chose her) by the qualities that she has, and not by the qualities she may not have.”

Charles Dickens
“Try not to associate bodily defect with mental, my good friend, except for a solid reason”

Charles Dickens
“Indeed, there was a frankness in his face, an honesty, and an undisguised show of his pride in her, and his love for her, which were, to me, the best of good looks.”
tags: looks, love

Charles Dickens
“These are early days, Trot, and Rome was not built in a day, nor in a year. You have chosen freely for yourself and you have chosen a very pretty and very affectionate creature. It will be your duty, and it will be your pleasure too – of course I know that; I am not delivering a lecture – to estimate her (as you chose her) by the qualities she has, and not by the qualities she may not have. The latter you must develop in her, if you can. And if you cannot, child, you must just accustom yourself to do without ‘em. But remember, my dear, your future is between you two. No one can assist you; you are to work it out for yourselves. This is marriage, Trot; and Heaven bless you both in it, for a pair of babes in the wood as you are!”

Charles Dickens
“And now, as I close my task, subduing my desire to linger yet, these faces fade away. But one face, shining on me like a Heavenly light by which I see all other objects, is above them and beyond them all. And that remains.

I turn my head, and see it, in its beautiful serenity, beside me.

My lamp burns low, and I have written far into the night; but the dear presence, without which I were nothing, bears me company.

O Agnes, O my soul, so may thy face be by me when I close my life indeed; so may I, when realities are melting from me, like the shadows which I now dismiss, still find thee near me, pointing upward!”

Charles Dickens
“But what I cannot settle in my mind is that the end will absolutely come. I hold her hand in mine, I hold her heart in mine, I see her love for me, alive in all its strength.”

05/21/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/16/2013 page 230
23.0% "The first part of the book can be easily titled 'How NOT to bring up a child'."
06/28/2013 page 550
56.0% "Things finally brightened up for David."
08/01/2013 page 800
82.0% "Here I am, finished reading my 800 page long edition, and feel buffled - villian isn't defeated, no romantic resolution, no resolution at all. Then I look at the first page and see it's titled 'Book 1'! Will continue with book 2 later."
08/01/2013 page 500
51.0% "Here I am, finished reading my 800 page long edition, and feel buffled - villian isn't defeated, no romantic resolution, no resolution at all. Then I look at the first page and see it's titled 'Book 1'! Will continue with book 2 later."
08/13/2013 page 700
71.0% "All of the book's characters are amazingly written - exept for Dora. The annotation calls her 'frivolous, enchanting Dora'. Frivolous - surely. Enchanting - a little bit. But mostly she is childlike crossing well into infantile and annoying. I like calm, wise, kind Agnes much better."
08/25/2013 page 850
87.0% "‘You know what I want?’ said my aunt.
‘A strait-waistcoat,’ said he.

The funniest thing Uriah ever said."
09/06/2013 marked as: read