Missy Cahill's Reviews > The Best of Everything

The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe

Mar 30, 12

Read from March 26 to 30, 2012

I hugely enjoyed this book. I think it had something to do with the glorious sunshine that we were blessed with this week. I can't believe this was published in the 1950s, it feels like a very risque book for that period. It's risque because it's true. And it certainly translates to today's modern woman. Yes some aspects of the books have changed, but it's still relevant in todays culture. This story really centers around Caroline & April, two girls, fresh to the sparkling bright city of New York in 1952, as they start their first jobs in a publishing house. Gregg {Bunny Boiler} features momentarily in the book at times, but it's a storyline that will leave many readers frustrated, with plenty of eye rolling. And Barbara, a single mother trying to make ends meet. Is it realistic? Perhaps not, but it's so enjoyable. There are traits in the girls, that you can see similarities in your friends or even yourself, and that I think is what readers will identify with the book.

A fabulous summer read. So happy this was reissued.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best of Everything.

03/27/2012 page 120
27.0% "Fabulous so far, quite a risky book to have been written in the 1950s. Very impressive."