Eva Nickelson's Reviews > A Death in Belmont

Mar 25, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in February, 2012

True crime isn't a genre I normally gravitate towards, and this was a book club read. I found the story somewhat unsatisfying. As one member of the book club put it, it felt as though this was a really, really long article about the Boston Strangler. An article on the subject may have made for a punchier, more forceful book. Instead, this book meandered through a number of subjects about the Boston Strangler, the Jungers's handyman, Roy Smith, trial law, prison conditions in Massachusetts and the country in the 1960s and 1970s, and so many more. In the end, there are very few new answers to such an old question about who killed Bessie Goldman and who was the Boston Strangler. Others in the book club remembered the fear that struck the city during the 1960s when the murders occurred, and they found the story more interesting. As someone new to the facts surrounding the Boston Strangler, I found this to be a poor introduction (although it is not meant to be one) and thus I didn't enjoy the book as much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Death in Belmont.