Rachel at theJeepDiva's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Mar 25, 2012

Read from April 18 to 20, 2012

I loved this book! I give it 5 stars. I find that this book keeps you glued to its pages with not only the storyline but also the characters. The scenery and the arenas are also well thought out and described. I saw the movie before reading this book so I knew for the most part what happened. The movie really stuck with the book and for that I am glad. This is a story I will read again and again. I don’t know why I waited to read this book.
The plot moves at a fast pace. The fast pace however does not make the story lack anything. After they select the children to go to the Hunger Games they are transported to the Capitol and trained. Then they participate in the games in a fight to the death where there will be only 1 victor. Need I say more that alone makes me want to read this.
The characters – the story is told from Katniss’s point of view. She is brave, smart and resourceful however she is confused when it comes to emotions. Gale is the best friend. He hunts with Katniss and helps keep District 12 from going hungry. Peeta is the lucky boy who is chosen to go to the Hunger Games with Katniss. Gale is not in the story a lot in this book it is mainly Peeta and Katniss. Also I loved Haymitch in this book as well and Cinna. They were really great secondary characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

Quotes Rachel at theJeepDiva Liked

Suzanne Collins
“Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.”
Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

Suzanne Collins
“I'm coming back into focus when Caesar asks him if he has a girlfriend back home. Peeta hesitates, then gives an unconvincing shake of his head.

Handsome lad like you. There must be some special girl. Come on, what’s her name?" says Caesar.

Peeta sighs. "Well, there is this one girl. I’ve had a crush on her ever since I can remember. But I’m pretty sure she didn’t know I was alive until the reaping."

Sounds of sympathy from the crowd. Unrequited love they can relate to.

She have another fellow?" asks Caesar.

I don’t know, but a lot of boys like her," says Peeta.

So, here’s what you do. You win, you go home. She can’t turn you down then, eh?" says Caesar encouragingly.

I don’t think it’s going to work out. Winning...won’t help in my case," says Peeta.

Why ever not?" says Caesar, mystified.

Peeta blushes beet red and stammers out. "Because...because...she came here with me.”
Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games