Carol E.'s Reviews > Annabel

Annabel by Kathleen Winter

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: favorites, kindle-books
Read from March 25 to 28, 2012

I loved this book! It is beautifully written. The language flows along and sings. Absolutely wonderful. Characters are full, lovable, fabulously flawed human beings. One of the best I've read in a long time.

It's a story about a baby born with both male and female genitalia and how that child is raised, and the outcomes as the child grows to adulthood.

I chose to read this book because it was mentioned by Anne Lamott as one of her favorites. I can totally see why -- the mother character is a beautiful woman (in the spiritual sense - who cares if she is beautiful physically) who is ready to accept people as they are and love them from the inside out. She reminds me of Anne Lamott herself, except that the mother in this book is more "settled" than bouncy, crazy Ms. Lamott. The writing style reminds me of Anne Lamott's style also.

Definitely a 5-star winner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annabel.

03/28/2012

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terry (new)

Terry I'll be interested to hear your take on this book. I've considered it a few times, but haven't yet. Oh- I checked the author's site and her blog. She's funny - I grabbed one of her quotes about 'shopping'.

message 2: by Terry (new)

Terry You gave this book full marks !!! I will put it on my list. Thank you Carol.

Carol E. I hope you love it, too.