Cheryl's Reviews > Academy 7

Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund

Mar 27, 12

Read from March 25 to 26, 2012 — I own a copy

3½ stars - In Academy 7, only 50 students of all of the planets that make up the Alliance are accepted to the prestigious school each year and, of those, only 25 move on to the second of three years. After being rescued from her lame duck ship, Aerin is administered the AAE test by the captain of the ship she is on. The test is used to determine into which school the student will be placed and Aerin is accepted into Academy 7, though she hides a secret that could get her not only into trouble with the school, but returned to the non-Alliance planet where she was a slave; she’s not a member of the Alliance. Also at the school is Dane, the son of General Madousin, a high ranking official in the Alliance military and someone who Aerin thinks might be mocking her at best, threatening her at the worst.

Dane knows his father, who was away when he got into and left for school, hates Academy 7, presumably because Dane’s brother, Paul, was rejected, and tells him to leave once he finds out Dane is there. Instead, Dane decides to go out his way and does something to get himself in trouble, but accidentally involves Aerin. Instead of being expelled, they’re forced to work together by the school’s principal, who has ulterior motives for their assignment.

I’ve seen a lot of reviews that say Academy 7 is sci-fi, and it is, but it’s not some heavy science fiction world that is nothing like anything we know, with Star Wars type creatures. I’d say it’s more of a drama than anything else. I did enjoy the book and how long it took for Dane to warm up to Aerin, and even longer for Aerin to do the same. I’m really sick of this instant droolfest that happens in too many books.

However, I did have a few problems with the book. Every once in a while some of the phrases Osterlund used just of didn’t make sense, and I wasn’t sure what the character who said it even meant. Also, I would’ve liked to have seen more of the secondary characters and had them more fleshed out, maybe had more scenes in the classroom or even outside of it, to see what the students did for fun. Same goes for the professors, they were kind of one dimensional, and the “bad girl” of their class wasn’t really that bad, she just seemed like a rich snob. I also felt that there wasn’t any resolution with one of the characters who should’ve gotten some kind of comeuppance. Finally, I thought the thing that was used to fill in blanks was a bit of a cop out. I’m not sure how those gaps would have been able to be filled in otherwise and it answered every single question with a bit too much ease (I realize this is a bit vague, but I don’t want to give anything away).

Despite the fact that I thought this was a good book that could’ve been really good, it was a nice and fast read. I usually read paranormal/supernatural YA books and it was a really good change of pace to read one that had a sci-fi bent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Academy 7.

03/26/2012 page 158