Sharon's Reviews > No Proper Lady

No Proper Lady by Isabel Cooper

I picked this book up on a whim. That night I jumped into the prologue. and thought, "ah hell". not my kinda story. Closed it right back up.

A couple of days later I received a notice that another book I requested was in, so I took this book and headed back to the library. Since I was too early, I sat outside and read the 1st chapter till the doors opened.

This book came right back home with me.

4.5*

This is a time travel (which I liked) - futuristic urban fantasy (which I've read once or twice and found I didn't like) - female warrior assassin (please save me from super uber ass kickin warrior women @*&^#*$%) - which this heroine WAS NOT - super uber ass kicker that is)...Lots of hocus pocus goes on too.

I really enjoyed this story. Although the plot begins during a futuristic apocalypse of the human race, the book was scary in a few parts but not dark and heavy.

Beginning:
Some time in the future
I don't know where
Time travel to 1888 England
Sorcerers/Witchcraft/Demons

The plot jumps right to it -

After years of preparation, the holy ones and Priests are now setting their plan into motion to change the course of the world's present destruction of humanity and the world itself, at the hands of the dark lords and demons (rather reminds me of present day 'leaders' sitting in D.C.) They are sending one assassin back in time. They have one hope, one shot and it all rests on Joan.

This entire scene put me in the mind of ancient druid rituals.

Joan has been prepared with very minimal information for this primitive time in the past and realizes she will not ever return to her dangerous, deadly world when/if her mission is accomplished. She accepts the reality that she has little chance of surviving either way.

Isabel Cooper did a very good job creating likeable characters. The comparisons she creates from a dying apocalyptic world to a prominent estate in Victorian England was wonderful. In one scene Joan is horseback riding with Simon (H) and she stops and asks...
"What are those?"
"Flowers," Simon tells her..."I'm afraid I couldn't tell you the names of them"..."There are roses...larkspur and such..."
Joan asks.."Do they do anything? I mean, do you eat them or build with them, or do they protect against...things?"
Startled, Simon tells her..."They're just flowers. Pretty, you know."

The plot is easy reading, enjoyable and entertaining. It didn't take me long to read all 329 pages and I'm looking forward to her next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Proper Lady.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Sharon I stopped by the library to pick up a book I requested and noticed this one had just been returned...so I picked it up on a whim. This story was a surprise!