Madeline Cruz's Reviews > Fahrenheit 451: adaptación autorizada

Fahrenheit 451 by Tim Hamilton

F_50x66
Mar 25, 12

Read in March, 2012

This wonderfully illustrated graphic novel is a great supplementary text to the English high school classroom. As I was flipping through the pages, I was drawn to the artist's style and how it brought to life the very colors I imagined while reading the novel. Black. Gray. Red, orange and yellow glowing in the darkness of night. These images are captured perfectly in the mysterious portrayal of Guy Montag. In the first half of the graphic novel, his face is darkened with ink and hidden in shadows. As the story progresses, Montag's face is drawn so that the reader can see it. This would make for an excellent discussion on what it means in the story as far as character development and visual clues.

One con to this graphic novel is perhaps with all graphic novels. It cuts out much of the writing, but of course this is because it is a graphic novel. If this were the only text the students were given for Fahrenheit 451 then they would miss out on the written descriptions and details of the dystopian world as seen through Montag's eyes. Also, the students wouldn't be giving their own interpretations of the book and how the world and characters looked like. Since the graphics are provided for the text, students would only take the story at face value and not really think of the characters anyway else. Of course, the artist did a wonderful job (in my opinion) of portraying the characters how I saw them, but I had the experience of first reading the novel and then the graphic novel.

My suggestion for this graphic novel is have it only as a supplement to the actual novel for students to compare and contrast. It could also be read in unison for struggling readers. The teacher would have to have ways of assessment to make sure that the students are reading both. This book would also help ELL students along with the actual novel because of the pictures and they can put words to the events.

Madeline & Johnathan

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fahrenheit 451.