K. East's Reviews > The Garden of Happy Endings

The Garden of Happy Endings by Barbara O'Neal

Jul 29, 12

Read from July 26 to 28, 2012

This is my fourth Barbara O'Neal novel, but I think it was my least favorite. Having had crises of faith in my own life, it was interesting to see how a minister has handled those moments of doubt. And I enjoyed the love story that develops for Elsa as the story progresses. The only thing that didn't seem to ring true was the story of her sister's husband's Ponzi scheme -- ala Bernie Maddoff -- and the aftermath. Tamsin's treatment by the government agents -- and the media -- was totally unbelievable. That woman would have been hounded and under surveilance by both for months! And the last chapter where Tamsin suggests that because her husband managed to financially "take care" of his wife and daughter with gifts that were not confiscated makes light of all the loss and trauma that hundreds [thousands?] of retirees face every day because they were swindled out of their life savings in similar schemes. It just struck me as a flippant want to end the novel.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Garden of Happy Endings.