Kathryn's Reviews > Persuasion

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Mar 25, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reads, excellent-english, regency-romance
Read in March, 2012 , read count: 5+

I first read Persuasion in college, when I discovered Project Gutenberg. It wasn't my favorite to begin with, but it's gradually grown on me, particularly as I've gotten closer to Anne's age (and now surpassed it...). I now rank it just behind P&P (and that mostly because of nostalgia; absent the rose-colored filter, I probably would put Persuasion ahead of P&P).

Anne stands out among Austen's heroines by virtue of being the oldest, by quite a bit (not just in terms of actual years but also in terms of temperament), and the mildest (ignoring Fanny because she's so odd, which is an essay in itself). She's one of the most understated heroines; so much about her is left for the reader to infer. In fact, that's true of the whole book. Austen was at her most subtle when writing it, and I've grown to appreciate the book more and more as I notice the little details and how they work together to create the atmosphere.

I recommend Persuasion for older and/or more mature readers who would enjoy a subtle romance.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuasion.