John's Reviews > What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful

What Got You Here Won't Get You There by Marshall Goldsmith

Apr 04, 12

Read in April, 2012

Surprisingly useful, IMHO. This is useful to a wide range of people, with professional and personal applications, but it really addresses the issues that face people who are near the top of their game. Goldsmith points out that we ALL have issues, and he makes the range of issues painfully clear.

Do you take credit for what other people do? Do you share enough information? Do you say thank you? Are you too focused on the goal? No doubt, you're fine on these. That's ok; there are 17 more where these came from. Virtually every high performing manager I have ever had has screwed up on a bunch of these. And I have too. Fortunately, Goldsmith also offers a number of tactical approaches to changing this.

Many business self-helpy books fall short, but I think this represents honest, common sense that could add value to anyone who is willing to take an honest look in the mirror. Fortunately, all of these things are teachable. If you can't afford an executive coach, consider reading this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Got You Here Won't Get You There.