Erin's Reviews > Sixty Acres and a Bride

Sixty Acres and a Bride by Regina Jennings

Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: christian-fiction
Read in March, 2012

Rosa Garner is a young widow of Mexican descent who is finding her way among a new land and people. Her mother-in-law, also a widow, is returning to Texas in 1878 after ten years away in Mexico. Rosa has embraced the faith of the Garner family and is determined to help Louise reestablish herself. But she hears the whispers. She sees the stares. She's an outsider who is distrusted by the community because of her differences. She must work hard to earn a place among them.

Louise's nephew, Weston, has built a successful ranch for himself. He's still hurting from the loss of his wife five years earlier but he's beginning to feel ready to give society another try. Noticing Rosa's vulnerability due to how unfamiliar she is with traditional propriety, he requests that she find work only on the homesteads of family members. This new cousin is another to seek to protect and provide for.

As summer progresses, Rosa works harder than she ever has before. Louise will lose her home if they do not come up with a way to pay all the back taxes. As the deadline draws near, Rosa is determined not be beholden to anyone... even if it might come down to asking Weston to become involved.

This retelling of the Biblical Ruth account was extremely well done. Regina Jennings has hit a home run with her debut novel and I look forward to seeing more releases from her in the future. The only two complaints I had was that I thought the last third of the book could have used some tightening up in the editing process. The passionate feelings our main characters experienced were also expressed, if I may, rather honestly. It wasn't overly edgy but it was a little more intense than I usually read.

This page-turner is sure to bring in lots of praise. Thank you to Bethany House, who provided me with a copy in exchange for this honest review. All opinions are my own.

This review originated at http://www.reviewsbyerin.livejournal.com
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sixty Acres and a Bride.