Rachelle Ayala's Reviews > Innocent Little Crimes

Innocent Little Crimes by C.S. Lakin

Mar 27, 2012

Read from March 25 to 26, 2012

A cross between Agatha Christie's "Ten Little Indians" and William Golding's "The Lord fo the Flies," Ms. Lakin's story is a chilling account of what happens when you bully the wrong person.

The setting: A remote island in the Puget Sound. A brewing storm on the horizon. Five desperate and venial schoolmates, each with their secret sins and back-luck stories, converge on Lila Carmichael's funhouse mansion for a reunion of their Thespian club.

They eat, drink, cast aspersions and pretend to enjoy themselves until a parlor game orchestrated by Lila goes gruesome. Written before the hit TV series Survivor, Ms.Lakin nevertheless presents a highly disturbing account as former friends gang up and turn on each other to ensure their own survival.

After tearing each individual to pieces in the most humiliating manner, Lila Carmichael, like Satan the Devil, then entices the victims with promises to fulfill their ultimate desires if they'd only deliver up one of their own, the chosen sacrifice.

What follows is human nature at it's lowest and most degrading as the story draws to its tragic conclusion.

Ms. Lakin's story held me entralled, without letting me go until I finished it at 2:00 am in the morning. While the action and dialogue grabbed my attention, the longish backstory near the end had me on pins and needles, impatient for the finale. For me, there were too many violins playing to excuse Lila Carmichael for her atrocious behavior, including a stern and unloving father and a weak mother. But that's just me. I don't like making excuses for the villain.

But the ending was totally worth it, sad and pathetic. The moral of the story? If you're cruel to someone, look over your shoulder, and don't ever accept an invitation to a mansion on a remote island.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Innocent Little Crimes.

03/25/2012