Wendy White's Reviews > Mass Effect: Ascension

Mass Effect by Drew Karpyshyn

Mar 25, 12

Read in March, 2012

Unlike the first book in this series, I think you do need to be familiar with the Mass Effect saga to appreciate the events that unfold here.

I wish I'd read this before playing Mass Effect 3, as visiting Grissom Academy would have been even more exciting had I been a little more familiar with the background. Ah well.

Ascension is set between Mass Effect 1 and 2, and continues the story of Kahlee Sanders. She is now looking after biotic students at Grissom Academy with the help of a mixture of ex-Alliance military and civilian teachers.

You learn a little more about Cerberus and Omega in this story, although most enjoyable was the additional background on the Quarians. I enjoyed this book more than the first, probably because it contains lots of additional background on the Mass Effect universe, whereas the first book mostly detailed why Saren was a jerk and set up the character of Kahlee.

Worth reading if you are a fan, again, if you are not familiar with the ME universe, then you won't get nearly as much out of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mass Effect.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stuart Rice I totally agree with your academy comment, although it was also cool after the fact, while reading this, to understand why those two characters reacted the way they did. How awesome was that!