Anastasia (At Bookish)'s Reviews > The Faerie Ring

The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton

Apr 10, 2012

liked it
Read in April, 2012

This book got off to a slow start. Maybe because I've heard so much about it, and was expecting more, but for the first hundred pages or so, I wasn't to certain I would manage to finish it. But then it began picking up... things started happening... and I turned out to really enjoy it.

I loved Rieker. I might just have to add him to the list of imaginary characters I'm in love with (...ahem...). I loved how he knew what was going on, and did his best to try and protect everyone - specifically, Tiki. I loved how he had secrets, how he wasn't who you thought he was. I loved how his attitude and personality didn't really change, even after Tiki found out who he was, after he revealed himself to her. He was, hands down, my favorite character.

Tiki I liked as well, though her name bothered and distracted me. I mean, Tiki? Really? I understand it's a nickname and all, but... every time I had to read it, I was pulled out of the story just thinking about her name. I know I don't have much room to talk (the main character's name in the novel I'm writing is Astra) but... it just distracted me from the story.

That being said, I liked her as a character. I liked how protective she was of her family, especially of Clara. I liked how she was compassionate enough to take Toots (another weird name) and Clara under her wing, even though it would mean more pickpocketing and less food for everyone all around. I liked, as well, how she was a three-dimensional character, how she had insecurities and fears.

The plot, as I said before, was like a train: starting out slow, but growing faster and faster as the story progressed.

This story was written in third person. Though I'm not a particularly bug fan of third person, it fit this particular story well, as third person was needed to tell all sides of the story. First person wouldn't have worked.

All in all, I enjoyed reading this novel. If I see the sequel, Torn Wing, in my library, I will be sure to check it out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Faerie Ring.