Patrice's Reviews > Wendy and the Lost Boys: The Uncommon Life of Wendy Wasserstein

Wendy and the Lost Boys by Julie Salamon

U_50x66
Apr 13, 12

Read from March 25 to April 13, 2012

This is a really interesting bio of Wasserstein. I related a lot as we were born at the same time and in the same place (Brooklyn). She went to hebrew school where my husband and I were married.
As she lived in the same time and place as I did it brought back so many memories. But then we went in very different directions.

She had a difficult life, it seems, and it ended much too soon. She lived a life of self-interest.
I'm not saying she was a "bad" person, but I think she was an unhappy person. She finally had a child at the age of 48 through artificial insemination. She didn't want the child to be anyone elses, just hers. This somehow suited her sense of feminist freedom but IMO it suited the narcissism of the age. And she died when the child was only 5 so the poor girl went to her uncle. Her uncle died a few years later.

The constant quest for self fulfillment, it seems to me, too often leads to lives without meaning and results in "collateral damage" everywhere. I rented one of her plays and I found it dated, adolescent and self indulgent. All around, a sad life and a sad book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wendy and the Lost Boys.

03/26/2012 page 30
show 12 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

thewanderingjew I agree with your assessment. Sometimes narcissistic behavior leads to totally selfish behavior which discounts the effects of their actions on others. They are simply not aware of anything but themselves and their own needs.