Katie M.'s Reviews > And Both Were Young

And Both Were Young by Madeleine L'Engle

Mar 25, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, ya, reread

Another one of the cherished read-and-rereads of my Madeleine L'Engle-loving youth. As you can probably tell instantly from the cover art, it doesn't hold up particularly well when you're not, like, eleven - even taking into consideration the deeper themes that complicate this story (death of a parent, WWII aftermath, artistic ambitions, etc).

But... shy, sensitive girl who doesn't know how to talk about boys and makeup with her peers but eventually manages to become popular by her own merits? Handsome, brooding stranger who becomes her best friend and then falls in love with her? Boarding school in the spectacularly beautiful Swiss Alps? Somebody had Adolescent Katie's number. Four stars purely for old times' sake.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Both Were Young.

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I never read this one! I don't think I ever realized it's not part of a series. The description of this book has pretty much everything I could ever ask for - so many new feelings! - but Paul should really have a Frenchier name.

Katie M. Nope, it's a stand-alone! So. Many. New. Feelings. It also holds the dubious distinction of being more about skiing than any other book I loved as a teenager.

Frenchier than Paul Laurens?????? Such a thing does not exist.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Ha ha. The last name helps. But it should really be jean-paul or something, no?

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Hmmm. I never read this either. And dang, please stop mentioning authors around me. Now I may have to do a whole Madeleine D'Engle thing. As in all the books, in order, and all the movies. Or maybe I'll just plant some spinach.

Katie M. Ha! I can't predict with any certainty how you'll feel about any of the books if your first read wasn't when you were 12 years old. The spinach at least will have reliable results :)

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura Oh, I've read several others of her books. This one is just a new title to me. But, yeah, they might be kind of strange, (not bad but more like, hard to get out of the adult mindset), to get into as an adult.

Not so sure the spinach is predictable, at least in my garden, but I do know that I like it!