David's Reviews > Winnie the Pooh

Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne

Apr 10, 09

bookshelves: embarrassed-to-own

Manny wants me to justify my rating. Paul has provided the justification. But I do not recommend viewing the video in question. Really. Trust me. It's truly monstrous.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winnie the Pooh.

Manny Aaaargh! Not only do you give this one star, you claim you're embarrassed to own it. WHY? It's a masterpiece!

David And some people love Turkish delight. But I don't. I find it sticky and cloying and disgusting. Much like WTP.

Manny It's often very FUNNY! And he can be quite cutting about his animals under the cutesy surface. Particularly Owl and Eeyore.

Paul Bryant Cue one of the world's worst ever records - see if you can get through this bag of twee

Manny Paul wrote: "Cue one of the world's worst ever records - see if you can get through this bag of twee

I got through half of it, before I found my finger had automatically hit the pause button. I got out fast with my mind still more or less intact. I hope.

Paul Bryant Written, you know, by A.A. Milne his self. I bet he loved it.

David Sweet Lord mother of God! My eyes! My ears! One only wishes one could have seen Dorothy Parker's reaction.

This thread now needs a WARNING -- TOXIC CONTENT alert!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it's a masterpiece, as well, but I'm very interested in your point of view. C'mon!

message 9: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I determined to give the whole thing a listen and made it to 1:15. It really is that bad! I would rather listen to "Return to Pooh Corner" and that ditty is like chug-a-lugging castor oil...these musical numbers should be used in hostage situations(Janet Reno considering continual looping of "Achy Breaky Heart" for the listening enjoyment of David Koresh and the Branch Davidians).

message 10: by Kimley (new)

Kimley OK, now is this rating based on a recollection of a childhood reading or an adult reading? Because I think what we expected and desired from our "literature" as children and what we expect and desire as adults are two very different things. I've actually not rated very many of my childhood favorites for this very reason. I don't think I've glanced at this particular book since I was in the single digits but I know for certain that had this site existed then I would have given it 5 stars without hesitation.

I cannot say how I would have reacted to the above-mentioned toxic content back then but I couldn't even make it through more than 10 seconds or so now. One needs a hazmat suit for that!

message 11: by Matthieu (last edited Apr 10, 2009 10:39PM) (new)

Matthieu WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, DAVID?!?! Ahh, it's a bloody classic! A masterpiece, I say! A childhood-shaping tome of awesomeness!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Pooh sticks! Let's go play Pooh sticks, everyone. At the bridge. C'mon.

message 13: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu Yes!

Manny Owl is pedantically explaining that "Buckingham Palace" isn't actually in this book. Eeyore is moaning that he never expected David to get the point anyway, but it doesn't matter. Tigger is bouncing around showing Roo how to use different fonts and animated graphics. And everyone else has joined Pooh and 'Tambo on the bridge. I think I'll go there myself!

message 15: by David (new) - rated it 1 star

David Much safer reading Pooh than Hamlet, I'll grant you that:

Man pours molten lead in own ear : believed to have been reading Hamlet

message 16: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva David wrote: "Much safer reading Pooh than Hamlet, I'll grant you that:

Man pours molten lead in own ear : believed to have been reading Hamlet "

Insulting Winnie the Pooh AND Hamlet? You've gone too far, sir.

message 17: by Elsa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elsa It's such a wondrous book and movie, how could you say it's "monstrous"?!?!?!?!?!?

message 18: by Elsa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elsa And yes, Eva, I agree.