Rebecca's Reviews > Amarok

liked it
bookshelves: what-i-got-for-christmas
Read from May 23 to 24, 2013

3.5 stars/ out of 5

I am so torn on how to rate this book because there were parts I loved and parts that irritated me so much I was tempted to just stop reading. First of all, I've never read a book quite like it. The plot is so unique especially for the YA paranormal romance genre, the mythology one I have not encountered thus far. The descriptions of Alaska were poetic and visually descriptive enough to transport me into its world. I also loved the incorporation of some contemporary issues (mental illness, abuse etc.) into this otherwise fantastical novel. It would have been so easy to turn Amarok into a YA "issue" novel but Townsend was able to do so without compromising the integrity of her story. That all being said, the novel felt both too short and too long. Some chapters were very repetitive and the story lost some momentum about half-way through, almost as if Townsend was uncertain where to go with the plot. At the same time, I would have liked more background on the mythology, as certain plot points seemed very disjointed. Finally, the characters of Emma and Amarok themselves were both captivating and frustrating. As a romance, the novel unfortunately falls short and while the tenderness between the characters is understandable, the intensity of it felt rushed and underdeveloped. I found the characters far more interesting on their own than together; I was much more intrigued to hear Emma and Amarok's backstories than to read pages of them pining for each other. Overall, I do recommend this book as one that is creative and well-written, though reading it requires some patience. I hope there is a sequel though, partly because I want to see the romance DEVELOP but more so, because of the potential plethora of interesting characters that might emerge if Amarok is able to complete the mission he created for himself by the end of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amarok.

05/23/2013 marked as: currently-reading