Jazmine Shoup's Reviews > Babar's Book of Color

Babar's Book of Color by Laurent de Brunhoff

F 50x66
Mar 25, 2012

bookshelves: international

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Babar's Book of Color.

Jazmine Shoup Babar’s Book of Color was written and illustrated by Laurent De Brunhoff. The book was originally written in French, and later translated into English for American publication and distribution. The book was a children’s story and concept book that focused on the areas of color. The book utilized elephants as characters, and went through all of the major colors. The book began with an Elephant named Babar and his young children asking to see his paints. He gave each of the children paints and had them create objects that they thought were representative of the respective colors. The book looked at the colors red, blue, yellow, white, black, green, orange, purple, gray, pink, brown, and tan. Not only did the kid elephants see what objects represented each of the colors, they also decided what colors could be mixed together to form other colors as well. Overall, the book incorporated a cute plot representing the relationship between a father and his children, while teaching a great lesson about colors.
The illustrations throughout the book were my favorite aspect of this children’s picture book. The colors were bright and vibrant and fantastically illustrated the concept of colors. Not only were the colors bright and vibrant, but they added great detail to the overall purpose of the book to teach the concept of colors. To me, the illustrations were one of the most enticing parts of the book, and one of the reasons that I was so drawn to it.
I would utilize this book to not only teach the concept of colors, but to also incorporate something about international literature. I would discuss how the book was originally written in French by a French author, and was later translated into English. I would talk about the importance of international literature in the school system, and encourage each of the students to discuss why international literature is of importance. I also think that I would incorporate some background about the author and illustrator and emphasize the international aspect of his life, and maybe why he wrote the children’s book. I think that this book would be appropriate for Kindergarten or first grade students. Overall, I really enjoyed the book and thought that it was a great children’s book that was beautifully illustrated.