drowningmermaid's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.

03/18/2013 page 30
12.0% "Things I really don't like:
the cringing attitude, that she thinks will make god like her more.

I could not help but find myself wondering if she might not be better off without Judeo-Christianity for a while. That might be just the thing her hand-wringing self-esteemless self might need."
03/19/2013 page 50
21.0% "Constantly referring to husband as "farmer" says more "disassociative disorder" than "poetry.""
03/19/2013 page 70
30.0% "Constantly referring to husband as "farmer" says more "disassociative disorder" than "poetry.""
05/14/2013 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

drowningmermaid About 5 pages in, and I feel like I'm suffocating in SMARM.

drowningmermaid Oh, mom. I suppose it would be too much to ask you to realize that my skepticism and pluralism are grounded in science, not a bitter wound of the soul, and that buying me awful books like this one is not an especially efficacious way of letting me know you care and understand. Still, here I am. On page 10, dutifully trying not to feel patronized by the trite over-generalizations that pass for "answers" in this book.

drowningmermaid Things I really don't like:
the cringing attitude, that she thinks will make god like her more.

The attribution of EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM she has EVER HAD to a "wrong attitude" on her part. It is "ungrateful" of her to scream in pain when her sister dies in front of her.

There is no addressing at all of the issue of DELIBERATE evil. There's the dumb stuff that happens that everyone hates and doesn't seem like it could be part of any good plan. Because it CAN'T be part of any good plan.

When the Church is the problem.

When the ideals themselves of Christianity ARE the problem.

Shaming for wanting to look at things like 1001 places to see before you die. No. You should be content RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE and take whatever abuse you get and not even THINK about changing anything, as this would be ungodly.

drowningmermaid At first, I thought this would be the worst narrator ever, but, since it really is the author, it's... not quite as bad.

drowningmermaid I suppose this would be a good time to look at some of why I left Christianity. I did not mean to, at first. I was surprised to discover that it was not the sin that called me away, but the love. A felt love stronger than what I felt with god. In short, I needed love. I did not find it in Christianity, but I did find it outside. And I loved not being a missionary anymore. With my mind so ... opened... I could read Hitchins and Dawkins and see how I had been fed lies about evolution.

drowningmermaid Also a problem: the assumption that if you have a need, it is met in God. And god alone. When any child can see that you can't eat god, and it takes mental gymnastics to assure yourself that if you starve to death than your needs are, in fact, being fully met. But, of course, you don't have the right to ask questions like that, as you are a mere human.

drowningmermaid Change only comes through discontentedness, and if you're not allowed to be discontented with your surroundings, that leaves only yourself.

But I like the idea of salvation as an act of gratitude, more than a single act of believing a series of things.

drowningmermaid Why do I keep reading these books from a religion I no longer subscribe to? Partly because I still love these people who give them to me, and because I feel for their misery-- which is also an intercessory misery on my behalf. I do not feel I am encouraging them, so much as acknowledging a hurt that I know my absence has on them. While these are not anything that I would choose to read on my own, I suppose I wonder if I will ever find a book that would have been just the thing to keep me in Christianity, when I did want so badly to stay. I do not really think such words exist, or ever existed. I look back on my un-conversion as a logical necessity of who I have always been. Even if I myself were to write now to who I once was, I think that the me I was then would not be able to relate to the me I am now. Still, I wonder...