Shayna Gier's Reviews > The Emerald Quest

The Emerald Quest by Renee Pawlish

Mar 25, 2012

Read in March, 2012

Because this book is a middle-grade/younger young adult book, and I generally fall in love with more “mature” young adult, I’m going to first tell you what as an adult reader I truly enjoyed, then I’ll say what I would have loved about it as a kid. I loved the storyline, there really wasn’t a boring moment from beginning to end. Noah’s character is as lovable as a very active and intelligent thirteen-year-old can be. Some of the scenes are reminiscent of Home Alone, which I found very entertaining.

If I were younger reading this- I’d probably love the entire thing. The sentences are simple, and not overwhelming to a younger reader. Noah is a fun character around the younger-reader’s age who oftentimes turns out to be smarter than the adults in the story and saves the day. There’s nothing too scary or gruesome in this book, though there are some tense scenes that keep the reader engaged. Definitely a winner for the younger crowd.

I struggled with this review, since I am an adult and I normally grade based off of if I like the book or not. In this case, I’ve decided to recall my younger self and have her feedback weigh in as well, since after all it is the younger readers that this book is intended for. And for that audience, this book is perfect. It speaks highly of the capabilities of children, as Noah is often seen putting the pieces of the puzzle together faster and better than the adults. He’s resourceful and intelligent, and seems to have a pretty enjoyable life hunting treasure with his parents.

And even in my adult head, I still am interested in checking out the rest of the series as Renee publishes them, because Emerald’s Quest leaves you with a feel-good feeling that would be nice to repeat- unlike so many more “mature” young adult books with cliff hangers galore!

This book was provided for me by the author at no charge, nor was I given compensation
of any kind for this review. This review only reflects my personal opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emerald Quest.