Kath's Reviews > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: post-apocalyptic, young-adult
Read on March 25, 2012

The Forest of Hands and Teeth is an exploration of life during a decades long zombie apocalypse. It's often dismal and what little hope there is for a "normal" life is bitterly futile. I will admit to not liking any of the characters--okay, I liked the dog--and as the story progressed,while I hoped our protagonist, Mary, would find the ocean that had so long haunted her imagination, I also hoped it came with some change to her character. No dice.

The world, the limited slice of it that Mary and her companions get to see and experience, is interesting if unbearably grim (as it should be in a zombie apocalypse) and the author never let us forget that there was horrific, pervasive loss beyond each and every gate, grasping hands and teeth beyond every section of fence. In the end, the journey Mary takes isn't from childhood to adulthood, or even from ignorance to wisdom, but from one place to another and the only way to get there, to reach her dream is to leave everyone and everything behind. The only way past what holds Mary back is *through*, even if it means the sacrifice of those she supposedly loves.

I wouldn't mind it so much but I didn't feel that what was gained at the end was worth the sacrifice or Mary's obstinate passion. In that way both Mary and the author failed us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

03/25/2012 page 175

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben Yeah, this was my exact problem with the book. I really needed some character development not just rushing from place to place with no real point. I was sad this interesting zombie book wasn't better :(