Anarika's Reviews > The Happy Prince and Other Stories

The Happy Prince and Other Stories by Oscar Wilde

Jun 14, 13

bookshelves: auf-deutschen-zu-lesen, not-only-for-kids
Recommended to Anarika by: Nadja
Recommended for: everyone who likes tales
Read from March 25 to 31, 2012

I enjoyed reading this today in the sun. I am reading a German version (with English text on one page, German on the other)...Wilde's style is astonishing. These tales are told in a simple way, for kids, but are definitely more than just that. They warm up your heart, even though they are a bit sad. (25th March 2012)
31st March 2012:
They are sad indeed, but they are written so beautifully and they talk about caring about others, winning over our own selfishness, believing in love and in the good that there is, about being generous...They reveal the genious behind the man that Oscar Wilde was and his deep undertsanding of the human nature, of the vice and virtues that are in all of us, but that he somehow tends to represent concentrated in the protagonists of his tales.
The collection that I have read contains The Happy Prince, The Selfish Giant, The Devoted Friend, The Nightingale and the Rose and The Remarkable Rocket.
The Water Rat and the Miller (of the Devouted Friend) and the Remarkable Rocket were simpy too annoying in their stubborness and selfishness and impossibility to see more realistically themselves, but - hey! -I recognised in them so many people that "keep eating your brain" (as a Spanish friend of mine says) with their righteousness, talking and talking about themselves, seeing only themselves, while not understanding anything about the world and the people that surround them, insisting on their "perfection" and superiority. At the end, you feel almost sorry for them, for their stupidity...but they are just as some people in real life that do not want to understand. And there is nothing you can do.
I loved the giant, who changed his heart (and saw the arrival of Spring, by accepting Children in his garden) and was stopped only by death (but after living many many happy years)!
When we were 15 we had to read The Nightingale and the Rose for school. Only now I can see how wonderful that tale is. It tells you that there are people who believe in real truthful love and are able to give their life for it, the ones that shut their heart into the world of books and theoretical knowledge, refusing to experience true sentiment, and the ones who only care about what is tangible and material, but what comes with prestige and power - ultimately money (?!). I don't think that I understood this tale when I first read it. Such a pity!
And yeah, the Happy Prince. Truly Happy indeed. Despite all the ones who saw him as beautiful only when he was covered in gold. Kids should learn that what is really important is invisible through sight. And adults, too.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happy Prince and Other Stories.

03/31/2012 page 143
74.48% ""I am covered with fine gold" said the Prince, "you must take it off, leaf by leaf,and give it to my poor; the living always think that gold can make them happy"."