Nix's Reviews > The Dark Portal

2620277
Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: animals, fantasy
Recommended to Nix by: Pvmom
Recommended for: kids who liked Redwall
Read from March 24 to 25, 2012, read count: 1

Despite my disparaging status updates, this book wasn't bad.

It took Redwall to darker places. It reminded me of Gregor the Overlander (and not just because it was underground and involved bats).

The characters were a bit too simple for me. I liked Audrey and Twit, though. They weren't so bad. Oswald was fine as well, but Arthur didn't have enough character development and neither did Piccadilly.

I think I will read the rest of the books in this series, though this book definitely isn't on the same level of a lot of the other books I've been reading.

The Tale of Despereaux is even more moralistic and psychological, despite its simple writing style.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Portal.

03/25/2012 page 12
5.0% "Comma splice. "Jupiter's voice was soft and menacing, it both soothed and repelled.""
03/25/2012 page 15
6.0% "Stupid character: "Piccadilly saw Albert . . . 'Alby!' he shouted, and ran from the tunnel." You are no help to anyone if you get captured, Dilly. Run away quietly."
03/25/2012 page 15
6.0% "Similar to Tale of Despereaux, but less warm and fuzzy. A lot darker. And a lot less psychological/moral."
03/25/2012 page 16
7.0% "The inside illustrations don't really fit with the cover. The illustration on page 16 cheapens the mood of that part of the story. At least, the mice do. The rest of the illustration looks cool and sinister. The mice look slightly amateur (though far better than anything I could have done)."
03/25/2012 page 17
7.0% ""The teaming force of rats . . ." Teaming is probably not the desired word. As steaming doesn't make much sense in context, I'll assume teeming."
03/25/2012 page 25
10.0% ""Mouse tails were swaying everywhere like pink corn." Pink. Corn. What."
03/25/2012 page 166
69.0% ""Fletch sat down slovenly." Slovenly, my dear Jarvis, is an adjective. You cannot use it to modify Fletch's sitting down."
03/25/2012 page 173
72.0% "The rats are far too chummy with their prisoner."
03/25/2012 page 173
72.0% "And how does Audrey know their names? That's the problem with an omniscient narrator."
03/25/2012 page 179
75.0% "Oh, seriously? That illustration is just ridiculous."
03/25/2012 page 184
77.0% "I predict that Arthur will go and get himself lost in the sewers."
03/25/2012 page 224
93.0% "What happened to the magic spell thing that was entrancing Audrey (if entrancing is the right word - putting under a trance)."
03/25/2012 page 229
95.0% "And what are these mouselings going to do about this cat, you wonder."
03/25/2012 page 234
98.0% "They are a bit, er, too happy. They just saw a bunch of mouse shades and they barely escaped being killed. I don't think it's only Twit with no cheese in the upper story, or whatever the saying was."
03/25/2012 page 235
98.0% "Far too many A names. Who's Algy?"
03/25/2012 page 238
99.0% "There is definitely a similarity to Redwall. I won't honor this book with the label of Redwall ripoff."