Minli's Reviews > Timeless

Mar 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: speculative, adult
Read in February, 2012

A solid conclusion to the Parasol Protectorate, but still not up to the calibre of the first novel. I have to say, I groaned when I saw where this was set at first (Egypt) because I'm super conscious of imperialist tourism--so many "steampunk" adventure novels set in Egypt or Turkey seem to be just that.

But Carriger makes it work because she focuses on further developing characters we know and already love. Frankly, I adored getting Biffy and Professor Lyall's perspectives--both of them seem to cross paranormal boundaries (Biffy a werewolf though in his heart a vampire) and Professor Lyall the subtle political maneuvering of his pack. Other minor characters also shone: the Ivys, Lord Akeldama, and even Madame Lefoux. Predictably, Alexia and Lord Maccon were the least interesting of the set, probably because there were no more places their characters could go, at least not emotionally.

However, I do appreciate Carriger's "what happens after they get together" exploration. There's too much of a trope in sci-fi (or fantasy) that a couple becomes boring after marriage, and the woman becoming a vessel for the next chosen one. We never really see kickass heroines balancing motherhood and career. In Timeless, that issue is neatly sidestepped by Lord Akeldama and his drones being day-to-day caretakers, but the fact that there's a complex system of visitation rites and who's responsible for what makes me kind of happy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timeless.

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ambrose Your third paragraph makes me want to read this whole series (I've been meaning to anyway). I too hate when the wife becomes a vessel for the chosen one. It's nice to know that doesn't happen here!