Matt Larkin's Reviews > Partials

Partials by Dan Wells

Jun 07, 13

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read from May 02 to June 06, 2013

Partials took me a while to read, mainly because I kept having other things I needed to read or work on in between. Getting interrupted when reading a novel can make it seem disjointed, and since I had to jump back in several times, I kinda got that feeling here. I think, had I read it faster, it would have made a stronger impression.

This story takes place in a world kind of like Children of Men, where there are no more children. In this case, it's because a virus called RM causes all newborns to die. Ninety-nine percent of the population is dead. Those that remain try to deal with it by mandating that girls over eighteen remain continuously pregnant, hoping someone will be born immune. Sound bad? Well the government is talking about lowering the age to sixteen.

Kira is convinced this is a dumb plan, and decides the only way to cure RM is to hunt down a partial--genetically engineered hybrids created for war--though they haven't been seen since they nearly wiped out humanity. She gathers a bunch of teenagers and goes to the mainland looking for one.

The genetics and premise are all interesting, and Kira is fairly compelling. I'd say the worldbuilding is a highlight, too. Overall, I enjoyed reading it, and I'd recommend it to people looking for some post-apolocalyptic sci-fi. I don't think it's liable to appeal to those that don't already enjoy the genre. The heroes are teens, so I guess it's YA, but it doesn't really read that way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Partials.

05/02/2013 marked as: currently-reading