Mitch's Reviews > Froi of the Exiles

Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta

Mar 27, 12

bookshelves: most-memorable
Read from March 25 to 27, 2012

I don’t think anything in this book quite reaches the level of Finnikin of the Rock at its best, but overall Froi of the Exiles is better than its predecessor – already an incredibly good book. This book delivered in exactly the areas that I felt Finnikin could’ve used improvement – it’s more character driven, better executed, and way more complex.

I liked Froi way more here than his character or Finnikin for that matter in the previous book. His character’s fleshed out very early on – with personal, relatable traits and details like his bond with Finnikin (view spoiler)or his way of counting to ten when he’s angry – and I loved seeing how a street wise hothead handled himself in a recovering Lumatere and then as an assassin in the enemy kingdom of Charyn. I didn’t know what to make of Quintana at first – was she really crazy? Pretending to be crazy? A little bit of both? And her character developed in a way that I completely didn’t expect but found really fitting given the back story on the curse on Charyn. Several minor characters, Gargarin, Arjuro, Lirah, I felt were far more complex, interesting, and crucial to the story than their counterparts Sir Topher, Lord August, and Trevanion in the previous book. Most surprisingly, this is a direct sequel, Lucian is in it, and he actually gets a pretty good side story too that’s related to the crisis in Charyn and Froi’s mission there.

The only thing that I missed was that no scene really had me like Trevanion in the mines or Finnikin saving Froi and the refugees in Sorel in the last book, although a couple came really close. I won’t name what they are because of spoilers, but even still this book strings together everything much better so the overall effect is about the same. More importantly, this is a book about finding where you belong (just like Finnikin was about finding the strength to get your people home) and Froi’s conflict over exactly where he belongs in the wider conflict between Charyn and Lumatere really stood out, and I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Froi of the Exiles.

03/26/2012 page 58
03/26/2012 page 593
100.0% "done, review to come"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katy Wait, did you finish Finnikin of the Rock? I started a few chapters of this one but haven't gotten around to reading the rest of it, but you definitely have to read the other one first.

Mitch Yeah, I did :) When I start a new series I read all the books back to back unless there are too many, and then I only remember to add the last one :( So far I'm liking this one more ...

Mitch Now that I think about it, it'd work too to read this book first and then Finnikin of the Rock as a prequel. Tho maybe I'm just biased because I liked this one more ... also reviews of both are up :)

Katy I started reading like a few chapters, but I wasn't ready to think of Froi a few years older yet. I was told this one was pretty good too, so I'm definitely getting back to this one day.

Mitch Well, you’re really missing out, but I know you’re busy with that huge pile of ARCs to go through; I’ve already crossed out a couple from my TR list based on your reviews.

Katy Well don't do it just based on mine. Apparently, others like Unraveling so you may want to give it a try. It wasn't bad. To me, it was just irritating. So don't give up on it just bc I didn't care for it.

Mitch Wow, you must be psychic, how'd you know that was the one I was referring to? Anyway, it sounds kinda like Hereafter (which I have read but never finished, way too close to stuff by Lauren Kate or Becca Fitzpatrick which I will gouge my eyes out before picking up again), but I guess I could give it a try ...

Katy LOL, give it a try anyway. The way you go through books, it won't take you long to finish. You may like it. Like I said the story is good. There were just things that pissed me off so I probably rated it lower than I should have.

I read Hereafter last night. Meh, I liked it enough, but not really. I bumped it up instead of down. STRUGGLING with book 2 though. Read it last night and fell asleep. Tried reading it again and couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try again after work. :(

Katy Guess what? I'm FINALLY going to read this book. I'm just waiting for my friend to get her copy.

Mitch Huh? What about my sadistic enjoyment?

message 11: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy So you do NOT want me to read this?

Mitch I never said that. I just didn't expect you to be so excited about it. Ok, well, we'll see what you think.

message 13: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Nevermind. I thought YOU would be excited about the news. I'll just go tell the person who got me to read Finnikin.

Navdha I was expecting a longer review. This makes me sad. :(

Mitch I remember this was right around when I had a 20 page paper to turn in, I was amazed I even finished the book that week :( Now I'm too lazy :(

Navdha Aww..that sucks. :/
I will be expecting a longer review for the last book. ;)
No pressure.

message 17: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Navdha wrote: "I was expecting a longer review. This makes me sad. :("

Mitch Katy wrote: "Yes, Mitch. I finally read your review, and I was expecting so much more, especially since this book was so memorable for you."

See comment 15 :( But you always skim anyways so I was making your job easier for you ;)

message 19: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Mitch wrote: "And don't make me make you read We All Fall Down ... we still have that deal remember? "

Yeah, and someone totally SUCKS at fulfilling their deals and promises lately.