Marcy's Reviews > The Snow Child

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

Mar 25, 12

Read in March, 2012

"Wife, let us go into the yard behind and make a little snow girl; and perhaps she will come alive, and be a little daughter to us."

"Husband," says the old woman, "there's no knowing what may be. Let us go into the yard and make a little snow girl."

This was one of the most lovely and sad novels I have read in a long time! Mabel is in her young fifties, and convinces her husband Jack to move to the wilderness of Alaska to start anew...for Mabel had lost a child during pregnancy, and her depression would not ebb. There was always family and pregnancies surrounding her that reminded her of her loss.

Early on in the book, in Alaska, Mabel walks to a frozen pond in hopes that it will crack and she will drown. Life in Alaska's wilderness was hard, and Jack and Mabel were silent in their own grief, and to each other...Then they built the snow girl in a night snowstorm...In the morning, only the mittens and scarf remained. The snow girl watched them in silence from the woods, with a fox by her side; Then little by little, she came closer to Jack and Mabel, to become a part of their family. Faina was the child Mabel had always wanted, and Jack loved her as his own. Faina was a child of the harsh Alaskan wilderness; She survived in freezing weather and hunted better than anyone could.

This is the adult version of The Snow Maiden with twists and turns. The author's descriptions of Mabel's feelings and the beauty of the landscape were stellar! My heart was in my throat throughout much of this story. Eowyn Ivey, this is your first book. I can't wait to read your second one!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snow Child.