Patrick Brown's Reviews > The Coast of Chicago: Stories

The Coast of Chicago by Stuart Dybek

Jul 12, 2007

Read in February, 2008

A good collection, maybe even great, but ultimately not quite as good as his more recent I Sailed with Magellan. "Pet Milk," "Hot Ice," and "Blight" are all terrific stories, especially "Pet Milk," which is so fucking achingly beautiful that I can hardly stand it. I had some trouble with the interminable "Nighthawks," a story that seemed gimmicky, something Dybek's stories rarely are. I have to confess that I don't really like stories where none of the characters have names, where they all seem to exist in pronoun land. If you're going to do a story like that, keep it to a page or two, a short short.

Some people think Dybek's stuff is too sentimental. I don't know, maybe I'm just an old sap, but I love his writing. He conjures that certain part of Chicago in that certain time perfectly. He owns a part of the world, "fictionally" speaking, and it's perfectly rendered. Nostalgic, maybe, but wonderfully so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coast of Chicago.

Patrick Brown Yeah, I think you'd love those stories. It's sort of a connected collection, bordering on novel-in-story-form.

message 2: by Edan (new)