Samy's Reviews > Vanish

Vanish by Tess Gerritsen

Apr 04, 12

Read on March 25, 2012

It is a rare occasion when I find a book so hard to put down that I fake stomach flu so that I can continue to read it.

Of course, a claim like this demands some form of context. After reading Body Double, the novel in the series prior to Vanish, right before returning to school after a long spring break, I was desperate to download Vanish to my Kindle. Although, I forced myself to refrain; I have a tendency to consume Gerritsen's books whole whenever I have even the most remote of access to them. When I finally did download the book on a Sunday night, I discovered that it was even harder to put down than the last. The everlasting sense of suspense that Gerritsen casts upon her readers is as intoxicating as well-made chocolates. So, the next morning, I decided to go my school's infirmary with a claim of a stomach ache, solely so that I could read.

One of my favorite things about Gerritsen's novels is that her characters are so lifelike and flawed; in Vanish, we get to see them at their best and worst. As well as having well-constructed characters, Gerritsen adds a perplexing and intelligent plot, one that demands the reader's attention constantly and never allows the reader to predict the endings. Through her vast knowledge of criminal technologies, Gerritsen twists the plot, making everything the reader thought they knew become a unheard of, false idea. And, through Mila's narratives and the third-person narrative of the current events, the reader is rapt by a fantastic story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanish.