Kim's Reviews > Story of a Girl

F_50x66
Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: audiobooks-read, young-adult
Read in March, 2012

Super fast read with a lot of substance!

It's amazing that 12-13 year old girls are having to make decisions about sex, but this is life. Just that girls are being approached with offers of sex from other young boys or worse - older boys at that age is sickening. I remember those days myself, when I thought that 12 was the same as 20 and I was brilliant and could take care of myself. You know how it is, we all have the 'tude as youngsters. When I look at my own kids at 12-13 I think how totally still CHILDREN they are! My daughter is now 19 and I still say she's too young for such an adult decision. Girls at 13 having sex is not sex, it is abuse. I totally believe that. Shame on these older boys (older meaning even just a few years older) who, as in the book, took advantage of the super young girls thinking they were an easy target. The older boys DO have something over them and they know it and use it.

Anyway, this is a book that addresses the issues of very young people and sex. Issues relating to society, friends, peer pressure, family relationships...etc. I think it's a good book for young girls to read. It may sound a little racy for a 13 year old girl, but it's really not. It provides a negative view of what happens 'after the fact' which is something that is not addressed as often. Kids get pummelled with information on pregnancy, stds, facts - but aren't presented with thoughts on what are you giving up, how will you feel about yourself & how will others view you? How will you be different? In essence - SELF VALUE - it is OKAY to value yourself and to think about YOU and what you want, not what is expected or because you feel coaxed.

I read this via audiobook and would like to commend the author for doing her own reading. However, as a big audiobook fan I have found that the author is usually not the best choice for the reading. It's a treat to see an author read in person, but it's very different when they are re-relating their entire work to a box. I realize that the author should know the story best to emphasize the correct parts, but - the author will also tend to UNemphasize parts that are more important than they think. Also, I think the reading of a work requires acting skills - in a really big way. The voices thing - if you can't differentiate your characters with voices, it's really confusing for the listener to know who is speaking at any given moment. Sara Zarr did an okay job, better than most authors who attempt this. I just think that the talent it takes to write a book is VERY different than the talent it takes to market it, to retell it properly, to create the cover art, etc... Most of us are not THAT multitalented. I know of exactly ONE author who has been able to pull off being the reader for her books and KNOW that no one could have done it better (Joshilyn Jackson). 9 times out of 10 though...the author shouldn't have been reading. This version of Story of a Girl was produced by one of my favorite readers so that may have helped a little...but - what's with our greatest readers producing performances now? Do what you do well, pleeease, don't start lazing out. Cassandra, don't you know nobody can read out a performance like you do?? Stick with the reading, please! Totally just my opinion...as always - take it or leave it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story of a Girl.