Katy's Reviews > The Lost Code

The Lost Code by Kevin Emerson

Mar 25, 12

Read on March 25, 2012

I had such high hopes for this book but ended up being really disappointed. It wasn't because the story was bad per se - because it was good though not great - but it didn't really exist. I know that doesn't make sense, but hopefully I can explain.

I felt the REAL story didn't start begin until Chapter 16 (in my version, page 155 out of 276). That's more than halfway through the book, and after that, it was just about them finding out about who they really are and plans to escape. And the latter half was good but just one step above okay.

I was really bored for pretty much the first half of the book. It started Owen drowning and Lily saving him - okay, exciting action - but then the rest was pretty much about camp life and the boys bullying each other. I guess boys will be boys, but I didn't really understand what it had to do with the story except taking up space.

I started writing a detailed review about the story's progression but deleted it because I didn't want to include spoilers in the my review. Basically, once Chapter 16 rolled around, I started becoming interested in the book. The action was cool, but I felt the story from that point barely skimmed the surface of the Atlanteans (hey, it's the series title so not exactly a spoiler). I'm guessing Emerson is saving that for Book 2, but at this point, I'm not sure I'm going to be picking it up.

As for the romance, it's there, but it didn't really interest me.

Who knows, this book has received really high ratings so I may be in the minority, but I just thought it was okay.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Code.

message 1: by Bodea (new) - added it

Bodea Ditto. I'm really excited about this one. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

message 2: by Bodea (new) - added it

Bodea Noooooo. sigh.

Katy I'm about a third of the way through (starting chapter 9 - page 99 out of 276 in my edition). It's kind of boring. :(

message 4: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling Aw, that's disappointing, Katy! I'm sorry it wasn't what you'd hoped for. I wondered about this one.

message 5: by Kt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kt I just finished reading it, and I felt the same way. It was definitely rather lackluster which is a shame because there was so much potential there. I'm hoping the next installment will revolve more around the later revelations of the book in the Atlantean aspect.

Katy Okay, good, so it wasn't just me. I was worried that I had such high expectations that I was a bit too harsh on it.

Marla Mutch I made it through, but thought it was perhaps written only for young people, and then only for young boys. Certainly not much there for middle aged ladies....

Katy I'm curious about the second book, but the meh feeling I had after this was is discouraging me. :/