Tom's Reviews > Butterfly in the Typewriter: The Short, Tragic Life of John Kennedy Toole and the Remarkable Story of A Confederacy of Dunces

Butterfly in the Typewriter by Cory MacLauchlin

Jun 05, 12

bookshelves: american-novel, biography, literary-journalism, to-read

Just read an interesting review re this bio in The Roanoke Times.
It's been nearly 25 years since I read "Dunces," and I'm curious to see how it holds up on a second read. One of few books that has made me laugh out loud.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Butterfly in the Typewriter.

Tajma I just re-read it after nearly 15 years. It holds up just fine! I still laughed out loud in all the same places.

message 2: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Ah, glad to hear it, Tajma. That empirical re-endorsement bumps it up the waiting list several spots.

J. Bryce I find it's one of the few "funny" books that improves with second and third readings -- like Catch-22 in that regard.

message 4: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Catch-22 is another favorite book I've considered rereading but worried the humor might not hold up well after so many years. But as my own reading of funny (or at least wry) writers like JF Powers and Flannery O'Connor as proven, a really humorous line never loses its touch.

Tajma So true!

Teresa I look forward to reading this bio; I've read a couple of memoir-type bios on him but this sounds different.

I've read COD at least 3 times. Read it first in '83 when I was about 21 years old and though I certainly got much of it back then (esp the humor of the people, dialogue and situations -- I am from N.O. after all) :) in no way did I understand all of the nuances then. The next time reading it I saw much that I hadn't before.