Kim's Reviews > Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind: Informal Talks on Zen Meditation and Practice

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki

Apr 04, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, must-read-again
Recommended to Kim by: Meido Moore
Recommended for: seekers
Read in August, 2008

As a music performance major who is burned out and bitter going into her last year of her undergraduate career, this book was invaluable for its ability to have the notion of practicing zazen also be equal to practicing her instrument.

I have taken a bit of a break from meditation and music for 3-4 months now, and these informal talks are exactly the kind of thing I need to get myself to head in the right direction. It's a book that I recommend re-visiting often, for it provides a perfect impetus to look at yourself honestly.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.

10/06/2009 page 75
56.82% "I should really read a section of this book every day for the rest of my life."
03/03/2011 page 104
79.0% "Anytime I feel I'm at the edge of the abyss I can always pick up this book right where I left off and feel inspired and optimistic."
show 1 hidden update…

Mohan "recommend re-visiting often"
That sounds exactly right. This is not a book to be read and closed. Like the Dhammapada, it has clear and meaningful guidance that serves as a nudge in the right direction.