Terzah's Reviews > By the Shores of Silver Lake

By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Mar 25, 12

Read in February, 2012

My kids' and my journey through Laura Ingalls Wilder's books continued with By the Shores of Silver Lake, and once again none of us (age five or age 39) were disappointed. This book, in which Laura's voice noticeably shifts from that of a child to that of a pre-adolescent girl, opens a few years after the conclusion of On the Banks of Plum Creek and on a sober note. Still on their farm in Minnesota, her entire family, barring her and her father, has suffered scarlet fever. Her beloved sister Mary is now blind. Her Pa, meanwhile, is in debt. So when an opportunity to move west and take a railroad position with a guaranteed paycheck arises, the family must pull up stakes and move again. Laura's adventures this time include bareback riding with a tomboy cousin, experiencing the immensity of the American West and the scramble to stake a claim, more memorable Christmases and meals with her family and the unwelcome revelation that now that Mary cannot fulfill their Ma's dream that she become a teacher, that duty will fall on Laura. To be continued!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Shores of Silver Lake.