Cindy's Reviews > The Grimm Legacy

The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman

2058617
Mar 25, 12

Read in March, 2012

I wanted to like this book more than I did. I think the premise is cool....a high school girl gets a job at a 'library' of objects, a repository of old and valuable things. She discovers that the basement houses the Grimm Collection, which turns out to be actual objects from the original tales collected by the Brothers Grimm (no sanitized Disney versions here!). But someone is stealing these objects, which possess magical qualities, and replacing them with substandard fakes. People have disappeared, too, but that ended up being one of the things that I found frustrating with this tale. It got way too cluttered...too many characters, too many references to too many old Grimm fairy tales, which translated into too little time to flesh out any of it! I had a hard time keeping track of the librarians, the magical objects, and who went missing when! I felt like there were too many details given, and that didn't leave any space for in-depth character development or plot resolutions! Some of the characters and plot lines, I really wanted to know more about, and others I felt were superfluous and took too much away from the main story line. I think that the kids this book was written for will end up confused...if they decide to stick with it in the first place!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grimm Legacy.