OpenBookSociety.com 's Reviews > The Greyfriar

The Greyfriar by Clay Griffith

Mar 25, 12

Review brought to you by OBS staff member Erin

Beware of spoilers

I avoided this book when it first came out. A Princess is captured (by vampires), and then rescued by a masked man? It sounded too hokey and predictable to be good. But a year after it came out, it was consistently getting 4 and 5 star reviews on Amazon and GoodReads. So I bought it. I’m SO glad I did. It reads like the 30s and 40s Swashbuckling Errol Flynn movies, without any of the ridiculous posing (except from Senator Clark, Princess Adele’s fiancé. But I don’t think you’re supposed to like him). Princess Adele is a strong lead, and with the exception of a few out-of-place lines, doesn’t fit into any picture of a damsel in distress. And it was action packed. I could definitely see this as a Pirates of the Caribbean style movie.

I would have liked to see more world building (since it is alternative history), but since this one was so action focused, I’m assuming I’ll get more details in the sequels (it’s a planned trilogy). There were hints about magic or powers coming up, so I’m interested about where that goes. It had some over the top moments, but they were short and, in a way, worked with the tone. Overall it was exciting. I became really attached to the characters (I find myself thinking about them when I’m not reading). I’m really looking forward to the next two.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greyfriar.