Belinda's Reviews > The Continental Op

92098
Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: short-story-collections, detective-noir-fiction
Read from March 25 to April 04, 2012

Well, this is my latest foray into the world of noir writers. I decided I was devouring Raymond Chandler much too quickly and did not want to run out of of his work, so I moved on to some other famous detective/noir writers. This was my first Dashiell Hammett. In an unusual style for me (all of Chandler's work I have read so far is more novellas or something similar) these are essentially short noir/detective stories involving Hammet's go to guy "the Continental Op". Very interesting differences here in the style of detective--Chandler's usually being handsome tough guys, a bit on the seedy side and not always on the right side of the law. Hammet's Continental Op is most definitely a legit detective==he's also chubby, and straight to the point. Nothing dashing here which is actually sort of fun---you know he's not falling for it when the dames are playing up to him. The language is similar to Chandler's and probably to most detective/noir writers. It was a good read. The short story style allowed for a few quick endings that were great--making them shorter made it harder to figure out the one two punch coming for your face and that's great fun. I plan on reading more Hammett though I have to say I enjoyed the Chandler more, but I don't necessarily feel the writing is better--just a bit more fun. I am now working Jim Thompson as well so I will have a nice round education. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Continental Op.