Andrew St.'s Reviews > The Cold War: A New History

The Cold War by John Lewis Gaddis

Mar 25, 12

Read in January, 2012

From the perspective of one who did not live during (or, as a child, was not aware of) these world events, this book represents, to me, a fascinating collection of usable facts and their corresponding dates. As opposed to many other works of history that I have read, Gaddis' book provides a clear look at each situation occurring to a certain point before moving along the timeline. In a sense, this book is like an organized forum of correspondents who are allowed to discuss what happened within the particular arena of their findings from this vital historical account. Many other historical accounts tell their stories chronologically, all the while dipping into occurrences, views and conversations that offer deeper (albeit inconsequential) probes into the surrounding circumstances at the time. As a person who finds more importance in the completion of a task itself, in comparison to how long it will take me to do it, I find Gaddis' book to be a practical look at the Cold War as an event, as well as an easily digested work from which I can recite dates and memorable quotes.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cold War.