Michelle (Much Loved Books)'s Reviews > Eden's Root

Eden's Root by Rachel Fisher

Mar 25, 2012

bookshelves: signed-by-author
Read from April 17 to 25, 2012

I will admit that I have seen Eden's Root around and when the author contacted me regarding a review I quickly accepted but due to other reviews have only just got around to actually reading it.

Eden's Root follows Fi whose Dad secretly worked on Diaspora project, which made the safe havens for people to go and stay, but due to sickenss was taken of list along with family and now after he has passed away Fi, her sister Kiara and Mum leave home looking for Eden.  Along the way they pick up new people who become part of the family.  Together they make the perilous trek across the country looking for Eden.

I was pleasantly surprised when I began reading Eden's Root.  Although the book is primarily a Dystopian book, it also tackles issues about family, friends and even problems with the food we are eating.  The food that is being eaten is slowly killing people and making them sick, (sickfoods) and only Heirloom (truefoods) are safe to eat as they have not been altered or modified in anyway, but they are few and far between, with game being one of the safe foods.
Fi is a very strong person, she is only young and has given herself the task to help keep her family safe and alive, but is not afraid to do what she has to do to ensure this, whether it be trading with others, scavenging for supplies or even fighting to the death. She not only helps her own family, but also allows others to join their group and each individual is treated like part of the family, even if they were stranger a few days beforehand.  She is wise and brave beyond her years and I really wish I could say I could do what she did, but I doubt that I could.

I loved the friendship she has with Sean and how it is easy for them to be around each other and he was the first person she trusted to tell what was going on.  Asher, what can I say about him.  Super skilled with swords, enjoys spending time with Kiara and Maggie, Fi's Mum.  He sounds perfect and I am really looking forward to seeing how their relationship develops in the next book

Although the journey they take is tough and draining, both physically and emotionally I loved how they all banded together and helped look after the young or sick members of the family and a few times the actions of the group brought tears to my eyes.  Eden's Root has enough going on in the pages to pull you in and keep you there till the end.  It does not lack in anything, and although it is bad times the natural scenery described sounds wonderful and would be perfect if you weren't fighting to survive.

There is another side to Eden's Root though,and it made me think about what foods I actually eat myself and how it could be affecting my own body.  I would love to say I could give up on all the processed food I eat, but I know I couldn't, but I will consciously be aware of what I am eating now and try that much harder to eat better, especially if Eden's Root is a look into the future.

Rachel Fisher has done a great job of writing a truly realistic Dystopian novel and I wish I hadn't read it so soon, because now I have to wait ages to find out what happens next.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eden's Root.