Christina (Ensconced in Lit)'s Reviews > Spilled Blood

Spilled Blood by Brian Freeman

Apr 12, 12

Read from March 25 to April 12, 2012

I won Spilled Blood from the member librarything giveaways in exchange for an honest review.

Spilled Blood is a heart pounding psychological thriller by Brian Freeman. The protagonist is Chris, a lawyer but first and foremost a father. He comes to a small town named St. Croix when his daughter Olivia is charged with murder. He believes her to be innocent, but soon he realizes there are many dark underpinnings between this small town and the next, with violence and bloodshed about to tear both towns apart.

As I have said in other reviews, one of the most important aspects of a psychological thriller is a likeable and intelligent, but at the same time, complex protagonist. Chris is both-- he is still in love with his ex-wife, he loves his daughter to a fault, but he ends up treading very close to the moral line. All of the characters are fleshed out, even ones that we are expected to dislike. There is one character in particular that I will not talk about as to not give anything away, but let's just say I was extremely impressed. This person's development throughout the book was key to the plot.

And wow, what a plot. Each move was deliberate. Secrets were revealed exactly when they were supposed to, and it wasn't clear to me what was going to happen and what the meaning of certain events and facts were. However, when they were presented to me, it made perfect sense. Being able to do this and ramp up the intensity and keep the reader guessing is a difficult skill that Freeman does with ease. I did not rush through his book because I was savoring it page by page, but I still got through it in a day.

Very impressive book from start to finish. I will be definitely reading more of his books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spilled Blood.

04/12/2012 page 118