Julie's Reviews > In Stitches

2079573
Apr 05, 2012

liked it
Read from March 25 to April 01, 2012

Many, many years ago, as a young person, I thought that perhaps someday I would become a doctor. Even today, the idea of helping people, getting to study the amazing human body, and doing something new and interesting every day all make me think I really should be a doctor. Except for the blood. And the smell. And the not getting any sleep. I really have to have sleep. Blood on tv, in books -- that kind of blood is no big deal to me. It is the smell and the squirting and the sight of lots of it in person that make me want to either faint or vomit or both. Fortunately there are people like Dr. Youn who do not have these problems. His journey to becoming a doctor (from being the child of a very strict father to falling in love with a particular medical specialty) is documented in "In Stitches." It is (usually) an interesting, funny, tragic, and (generally) captivating story. There are other main themes that don't quite always gel (like his quest for a girlfriend), and sometimes you wonder, when on earth are you finally going to figure it out? I am sure many medical students feel this way, but it sometimes drags on a bit long for a layman like myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Stitches.