Misty's Reviews > Bites

Bites by Ninfa Hayes

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: own-kindle, recieved-for-review, team-awesome
Read from March 29 to 30, 2012

I'm already a fan of this authors work being as she's my friend, writing partner and co-owner of the Facebook page for this blog so it might seem my review is a little biast, I am mentioned in the aknowledgements after all! But she knows I would tell her truthfully if I didn't like it because I pride myself on being a honest reviewer... so it's lucky i loved it! :p

The book is actually two short stories so I'll review them individually.

LAST OF THE BLOOD

Although I found the multiple time changes in a short story a bit dizzying I still really enjoyed this one, it's a dark, engaging, tale about a guy struggling to find his place in the world... oh and did I mention he's a hot, brooding, vampire? Yum!

I really enjoyed taking Damons journey with him and I loved how each chapter started with his internal monologue of what he's thinking and feeling, and then is followed with what's happening, it really gave me an insight into what was going on in his head at all times. The ending was so bittersweet, as it made sense but was sad to.

DEMONICA

This one was my favourite of the two, for a short story there's a lot crammed in there, but it's not overloading. All the intricate mythology used was just awesome but not confusing and, I don't want to give anything away, but I loved the twist on a very well known tale, it was fresh and really had me feeling for the "bad guys."

Irina is a great character who wants nothing more than her dreary life to be shaken up and boy does it! She suddenly goes through so much and I was totally gripped to see where the story was taking her, she really growns up on her little adventure and I loved how she ended up!

So, in all two really great, wonderfully written stories that any paranormal lover should love!

Favourite quotes

Last of the blood

'I don't know when I stopped caring, and just embraced it; when the last shroud of humanity fled in the face of the being I have become. It feels good not to care.'

'Her lips tremble, and I see such desperation in her eyes that the need to reach out and hold her almost overwhelms me.'

Demonica

'But really, could you see me as the carpenter's wife? I didn't think so.'

'Like a dark blossom unfurling it's petals, the power envelopes me completely, becoming part of my essence, transforming it until I am made anew.'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bites.

03/30/2012