Hannah's Reviews > The House of Silk

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

Mar 24, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reads, mysteries
Read in March, 2012

A highly readable and (more importantly) enjoyable Holmes pastiche from the pen of Anthony Horowitz, who wrote the "Foyle's War" TV mystery series. As with my first foray with Laurie R. King, I'm always slightly leary of venturing out of the original Holmes canon to find more stories about one of my favorite detectives. Thankfully Horowitz, like King, has managed to create a well crafted story while staying true to the "spirit" of Sherlock and company with this novel. I hope he will follow up with many more in future. I'll be on board to read them...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Silk.

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim Must get this book!

Hannah Kim wrote: "Must get this book!"

So good, but dark. Horowitz, IMO, captured the spirit of the original canon.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, now you've made me curious. How dark is dark?

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm glad you liked it, Hannah. I may get the audiobook, which has now been released.

Hannah Jeannette wrote: "Well, now you've made me curious. How dark is dark?"

Not graphically dark, but disturbing. To say more would be to spoil the book...

Hannah Kim wrote: "I'm glad you liked it, Hannah. I may get the audiobook, which has now been released."

Yes, do. Who's the narrator?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hannah wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "Well, now you've made me curious. How dark is dark?"

Not graphically dark, but disturbing. To say more would be to spoil the book..."

Interesting. I'll consider it.

message 8: by Dorcas (new)

Dorcas Sounds intriguing! Ill have to see if the library has it.

Hannah Dorcas wrote: "Sounds intriguing! Ill have to see if the library has it."

Dorcas,
A brief word of warning for you, since I've noticed that you prefer (like me) *clean* novels: there is a disturbing plotline in the book that you may find objectional. It's been awhile since I read it, so can't be more specific (sorry), but I remember it disturbed me. Nothing overly graphic that I can recall, but the suggestion was there.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hannah wrote: "Dorcas wrote: "Sounds intriguing! Ill have to see if the library has it."

Dorcas,

Hannah Jeannette wrote: "I think this is one of the reviews that popped up due to the latest GR bug. Random reviews are showing up in the updates feeds. Your review of Divergent is one of them! lol..."

I should thank GR for all the extra *likes* I'm getting on that Divergent review....nah, they've done too many stupid things lately.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

hahaha! One of your snarky best.