Sandi's Reviews > Possession

Possession by A.S. Byatt

Aug 13, 2008

bookshelves: lemmed
Read in August, 2008

I am really, really struggling with this book. Please tell me why I should or why I shouldn't finish it.

UPDATE: I decided to give this one up. I might go back later. But, it's way too obtuse right now. I'm just not up to really flowery prose side-by-side with fictional poetry by fictional poets. I feel like I should like it because I did major in English lit. Instead, it makes me glad I didn't get an advanced degree and become a lonely loser.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Possession.

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I hated this book. I couldn't see what the hype was all about. If that helps.

Jessica I loved it. I suggest listening to it on tape, which is what I did. The reader is excellent too.

message 3: by Kim (last edited Aug 25, 2008 05:27PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Yeah, another book that I think I'm in the minority with. I just couldn't get into it. It bored me to tears but I read the whole thing because, you know, I invested in it. So, of course, I began to despise it because of that. It's a vicious circle, Chairy...

Jessica I don't know that you're in the minority on this one Kim, a lot of people feel as you do--in fact I've weighed in before, maybe more than once, on this book on GR with detractors & boosters both...I don't know that I would have loved it as much if I hadn't listened to it on tape...It absolutely hooked me. I used to sit in the car & not get out, just to hear more. I did have a paperback copy, so I'd sometimes read several more chapters in the evening and then hear the same passages read the next day on my commute (I know, a real goner...).

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I think I had some expectations and it didn't fulfill, so I just decided that I didn't like it. Maybe if I had just gone into it with nothing, you know?

But, I hated Atonement too.. (you did too, right?)

Jackie "the Librarian" I agree, Byatt's not for everyone. I always feel like I'm in over my head with her, swimming in allusions to classics that I don't recognize because I didn't go to college at Oxford.
If you aren't enjoying it, drop it.

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I think that that's it, Jackie.. you nailed it. Plus, I didn't really care about the characters...

Lori Loved this, but life's too short to waste time on books you're not enjoying, Sandi! Too many other books. It's very liberating to drop a book that everyone raves about. Trust yourself.

message 9: by Sandi (new) - added it

Sandi Thanks. I feel like I should enjoy it. I majored in English lit. This book just makes me glad I didn't go for an advanced degree.

Maybe I'll try again later.

Michelle I loved this book. I loved the literary mystery and the underlying romance.

But...I think you should stop reading it, Sandi. I kept bothering Kim to finish it even after she said she didn't like it, and her opinion didn't change once she was finished.

Lori is right - life is too short to waste time on books you're not enjoying.

Chana I am enjoying it more than you did Sandi, but as I am reading I am thinking these poor sad lonely characters, not losers exactly, but missing out, living vicariously. Only about 1/4 of the way through so far.