Ankush Chakrabarty's Reviews > The Devotion of Suspect X

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino

M_50x66
Mar 24, 12

They say translated works usually result in a dilution of the original 'flavor' of the book, but in this case, the translator does a very decent job. This is the first book I read of this author, and it was purely by chance that I came upon this title while browsing through Amazon. I won't go too much into the plot, since most reviewers have already commented on it, but the basic idea is as follows:
A divorced woman and her daughter kill their husband/father (respectively) in a mishap, albeit purposefully. A neighbor, (a mathematician by trade) offers to save them by scripting out their every move and providing them with an alibi. The story skips between the thoughts of Ishiguro (the mathematical genius) and his scientific rival, a physicist whose name I have forgotten. The physicist aids the police in this case, and ultimately the story boils down to a battle of wits between the two, with sprinkles of realistic occurrences and tragic scenes. All in all, this story left me entranced, and it is, for lack of a better term, thoroughly 'un-put-down-able'. It is told beautifully, simplistically and is a treat to read! The events unfold pretty logically (although for sticklers there will be loopholes) and the characters are developed wonderfully, making you bond with them. I think I'll be dreaming of alternate endings all night now! Happy reading. I'd give it a 9.5/10.0

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devotion of Suspect X.